Whakarewarewa thermal area,
Rotorua (photo Dean Schuler)
Trout fishing (photo Tongariro
Falcon, Mt Cook (photo Adam Scott Kennedy)
South Island Red Pied Oystercatcher
(photo - Dean Schuler)
Azaleas, Rotorua (photo Dean Schuler)
Rock Wren (photo Adam Scott Kennedy)
We've set up our FIT service to help visitors who
want to explore New Zealand themselves. We appreciate
that guided touring does not suit everyone and New Zealand
is a relatively easy country to travel through on your
We are New Zealanders and know our country, its birds,
wildlife and landscapes intimately. You can either choose
one of our set routes and itineraries, or we can tailor
one especially to take account of your interests and
tastes. Knowing any additional special interests such
as hiking, fishing, wine and gardens will help us develop
your itinerary with you.
You don't have to be completely on your own. If you
want to ease yourselves into your New Zealand holiday
you can mix some guided birding with us before heading
out on your own. This can be done as day excursions
from here, an Auckland base, or as overnight trips of
two, three or four days in the North Island.
Our FIT bookings service covers:
- Accommodation - all standards and classes (from
the finest hotels to motels to farm/vineyard stays
to B&Bs and coastal cottages)
- Flights, ferries & water taxis
- Excursions around the country with specialist operators
around NZ - seabird pelagics, whale watching, dolphin
watching & swimming, kayaking, snorkeling, river
trips (jet boats and rafts & kayaks), ski-plane
and helicopter flights, angling (rivers) and sea-fishing.
You name it we can set it up for you!
- Rental cars
- Camper vans
What can you expect from us?
Here's what your travel pack will contain:
- Day to day itinerary
- Summary of all arrangements/reservations made on
your behalf with costs
- Vouchers for all bookings
- Brochures/pamphlets for some of the places you'll
visit (also accommodation and excursions)
- A map pack for all birding and wildlife sites on
In addition we can provide:
- NZ road maps - KIWI Pathfinder series: NZ-wide;
North & South Islands (incl Stewart Island); Northern
& Central North Island; Central and Southern North
Island; Northern & Central South Island; Central
and Southern South Island (incl Stewart Island). These
are NZ$7 each plus postage.
- Handguide to the Birds of New Zealand (Heather &
Robertson). The cost is NZ$35 plus postage.
Please note: we do not provide an international
flight reservation service and travel insurance (these
are best arranged from country of origin)
Our step-by step process
- We respond to your inquiry - thank you.
- We always like know a bit about your background
and interests so we can tailor an itinerary to suit.
We also need to know your time frame (with arrival
and departure dates if you have made them) and the
standard of accommodation you're looking for
- We develop a draft itinerary that you can check
- Once you like the sound of that, we'll prepare a
fully itemised costing (quotation) and send this to
you for comment or approval.
- Once we receive your OK we'll go ahead make the
bookings on your behalf. We may already have checked
availability for some key providers at an earlier
- When we have everything in place we'll confirm the
arrangements; any problems with availability we'll
- Your travel pack can be sent to you or be available
on arrival in New Zealand
- Other items that you have ordered through us, maps
and field guides can be sent to you, or be waiting
for you on arrival
- We will go through your travel pack when we meet
you at the start of your trip.
For more details please
Nugget Point (photo Dean Schuler)